[torqueusers] torque.cfg attributes

Glen Beane glen.beane at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 17:15:01 MST 2009

On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 2:43 PM, Garrick Staples <garrick at usc.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 05, 2009 at 05:11:55PM +0800, onceihave alleged:
>> Hi all:
>>
>> I find the torque.cfg wiki page at clusterresources is already out of date. I fail to find other explanation how to set some attributes of them, such as XAUTHPATH, VALIDATEGROUP and DEFAULTCKPT.
>>
>> I am not sure these attributes are really used by qsub. What I read is qsub command does read cfg file. Does anyone have advice about that, and how to set these attributes if they are really used?
>>

> Yes, they are used, but generally not needed.  They just override some defaults
> for a few corner cases.
>
> The exact list of supported options depends on your version of torque.  Look at
> src/cmds/qsub.c (in main(), right after the call to load_config()) for your
> exact list.
>
> It is quite unfortunate that the torque.cfg options aren't in the qsub manpage.
>
> Here is the list for 2.1:
> QSUBSLEEP  integer.  Sleep seconds between doing anything.
> SUBMITFILTER file path
> SERVERHOST hostname
> XAUTHPATH file path to xauth
> CLIENTRETRY integer seconds between retry attempts to talk to pbs_server
>
> In addition, 2.3.6 has these:
> QSUBHOST  hostname for job's QSUB_O_HOST variable
> QSUBSENDUID  integer for job's PBS_O_UID variable  (sounds insecure)
> VALIDATEGROUP  Make sure submitter's group is valid  (not sure the point here)

I'm not 100 sure of the intent, but I've had torque do some weird
stuff when the users gid is not valid on the compute nodes.  I'm
pretty sure the job constantly bounced between Q and R states until it
was qdel'd.  Unfortunately this option wouldn't have helped me because
I think in my case the gid was valid on the submit host.