[torqueusers] torque.cfg attributes

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Mon Jan 5 12:43:20 MST 2009

On Mon, Jan 05, 2009 at 05:11:55PM +0800, onceihave alleged:
> Hi all:
> I find the torque.cfg wiki page at clusterresources is already out of date. I fail to find other explanation how to set some attributes of them, such as XAUTHPATH, VALIDATEGROUP and DEFAULTCKPT.
> I am not sure these attributes are really used by qsub. What I read is qsub command does read cfg file. Does anyone have advice about that, and how to set these attributes if they are really used?

Yes, they are used, but generally not needed.  They just override some defaults
for a few corner cases.

The exact list of supported options depends on your version of torque.  Look at
src/cmds/qsub.c (in main(), right after the call to load_config()) for your
exact list.

It is quite unfortunate that the torque.cfg options aren't in the qsub manpage.

Here is the list for 2.1:
QSUBSLEEP  integer.  Sleep seconds between doing anything.
XAUTHPATH file path to xauth
CLIENTRETRY integer seconds between retry attempts to talk to pbs_server

In addition, 2.3.6 has these:
QSUBHOST  hostname for job's QSUB_O_HOST variable
QSUBSENDUID  integer for job's PBS_O_UID variable  (sounds insecure)
VALIDATEGROUP  Make sure submitter's group is valid  (not sure the point here)
DEFAULTCKPT  default value for job's checkpoint attr
VALIDATEPATH validate local existence of '-d' working directory

Again, most admins don't need to specify any of these.

University of Southern California

See the Dishonor Roll at http://www.californiansagainsthate.com/