[torqueusers] In search of a long forgotten feature...

Joshua Bernstein jbernstein at penguincomputing.com
Tue Feb 24 12:02:02 MST 2009

Garrick Staples wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 10:54:12AM -0800, Joshua Bernstein alleged:
>>
>> Garrick Staples wrote:
>>> On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 05:34:02PM -0500, Miller, Timothy E. alleged:
>>> Others have answered this question, but in this specific case node
>>> properties
>>> aren't the best way to go.
>>>
>>> pbs_mom can make an "arch" visible and users can select an arch.
>>>
>>> Set arch in mom_config to `uname -m`, and users can add arch=i686 or
>>> arch=x86_64 to their job resource request.
>> Though arch is a special case attribute. Consider something like "IB" for
>> Infiniband, or more recently I've been using "Cuda".
>>
>> I was under the impression that when a job enters a queue, the queue does
>> not modify the job, and thus as it claims in the documentation there is no
>> way to tie a set of nodes to a queue, unless the users themselves asks for
>> the attribute associated with the queue. Am I confused?
>>
>> If the required_property option patch was designed to modify the job upon
>> entering the queue, I would really love to see it incorporated into the
>> upstream TORQUE.
>
> resources_default properties supply defaults for jobs.  resources_default.nodes
> and resources_default.walltime are probably the most common and useful.

Right, but these don't allow you to tie nodes to certain arbitrary properties.

> resources_default.neednodes is used by the scheduler to specify required node
> properties.  This is the easy way to "tie" nodes to a queue.

resource_default.neednodes doesn't seem to be honored by pbs_sched, it only
works with Maui or Moab. If I'm mistaken, I'd sure like to know what I've been
doing wrong, and why the documentation suggests I'm correct.

-Joshua Bernstein
Software Engineer
Penguin Computing