[torqueusers] In search of a long forgotten feature...

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Tue Feb 24 11:59:47 MST 2009

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 10:54:12AM -0800, Joshua Bernstein alleged:

> Garrick Staples wrote:
> >On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 05:34:02PM -0500, Miller, Timothy E. alleged:
> >>I seem to recall that there was a way in PBS that, when a job was
> >>submitted to a particular queue (say i386), PBS would automatically
> >>add an attribute to that job as specified in the queue's configuration
> >>(say '32bit').  One could then add a node attribute '32bit' to all
> >>your 32bit nodes and 'viola!' ensure 32bit jobs ran on 32bit labeled
> >>nodes.
> >
> >Others have answered this question, but in this specific case node
> >properties
> >aren't the best way to go.
> >
> >pbs_mom can make an "arch" visible and users can select an arch.
> >
> >Set arch in mom_config to `uname -m`, and users can add arch=i686 or
> >arch=x86_64 to their job resource request.
>
> Though arch is a special case attribute. Consider something like "IB" for
> Infiniband, or more recently I've been using "Cuda".
>
> I was under the impression that when a job enters a queue, the queue does
> not modify the job, and thus as it claims in the documentation there is no
> way to tie a set of nodes to a queue, unless the users themselves asks for
> the attribute associated with the queue. Am I confused?
>
> If the required_property option patch was designed to modify the job upon
> entering the queue, I would really love to see it incorporated into the
> upstream TORQUE.

resources_default properties supply defaults for jobs.  resources_default.nodes
and resources_default.walltime are probably the most common and useful.

resources_default.neednodes is used by the scheduler to specify required node
properties.  This is the easy way to "tie" nodes to a queue.

University of Southern California

See the Prop 8 Dishonor Roll at http://www.californiansagainsthate.com/