[torqueusers] In search of a long forgotten feature...

Joshua Bernstein jbernstein at penguincomputing.com
Tue Feb 24 11:54:12 MST 2009

Garrick Staples wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 05:34:02PM -0500, Miller, Timothy E. alleged:
>> I seem to recall that there was a way in PBS that, when a job was
>> submitted to a particular queue (say i386), PBS would automatically
>> add an attribute to that job as specified in the queue's configuration
>> (say '32bit').  One could then add a node attribute '32bit' to all
>> your 32bit nodes and 'viola!' ensure 32bit jobs ran on 32bit labeled
>> nodes.
>
> Others have answered this question, but in this specific case node properties
> aren't the best way to go.
>
> pbs_mom can make an "arch" visible and users can select an arch.
>
> Set arch in mom_config to `uname -m`, and users can add arch=i686 or
> arch=x86_64 to their job resource request.

Though arch is a special case attribute. Consider something like "IB" for
Infiniband, or more recently I've been using "Cuda".

I was under the impression that when a job enters a queue, the queue does not
modify the job, and thus as it claims in the documentation there is no way to
tie a set of nodes to a queue, unless the users themselves asks for the
attribute associated with the queue. Am I confused?

If the required_property option patch was designed to modify the job upon
entering the queue, I would really love to see it incorporated into the upstream
  TORQUE.

-Joshua Bernstein
Software Engineer
Penguin Computing