[torqueusers] In search of a long forgotten feature...

Tom Pierce thpierce at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 09:24:22 MST 2009

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 5:34 PM, Miller, Timothy E. <millerte at wfu.edu> wrote:

> I seem to recall that there was a way in PBS that, when a job was
> submitted to a particular queue (say i386), PBS would automatically
> add an attribute to that job as specified in the queue's configuration
> (say '32bit').  One could then add a node attribute '32bit' to all
> your 32bit nodes and 'viola!' ensure 32bit jobs ran on 32bit labeled
> nodes.
>
> Does anyone out there remember how to do that?  Could one ever do
> that?  What key words am I having "Googling block" on that is preventing
> me from finding it?

One PBS way to do that is to define a TORQUE queue called "i386" that
has the property "32bit" assigned to all the nodes in that queue.
Then define the nodes with that property in the pbsnodes file. Then
add only those nodes to the queue.

eg in the server_priv/nodes file:

node05 np=2 32bit
node06 np=2 32bit

The effect is that a user submitting a job to the queue, i386, will be
assigned nodes with the property 32bit and if you have set those nodes
up to be actual 32 bit nodes, you get what you wanted...