[torqueusers] PBS_O_HOME

Stijn De Weirdt stijn.deweirdt at ugent.be
Tue Feb 24 07:28:46 MST 2009

hi all,

i'm investigating a problem we have with interactive job submission.
qsub -I fails with error
 Connection refused (111) in TMomFinalizeChild, cannot open interactive
qsub socket to host

and the host is the server running pbs_server. and this should ofcourse
be the submithost. looking at the code, it seems to connect to whatever
is set to PBS_O_HOST.

PBS_O_HOST can be set with the QSUBHOST parameter in the
$PBS_SERVER_HOME/torque.cfg file, but i wonder why the default value in
qsub is to take the pbsserver hostname, not the (local) hostname where
qsub runs.

we are currenlty sharing the torque.cfg file on all nodes, so we would
have to change that to use multiple submit hosts and allow interactive
jobs (but maybe is sharing this file a not-so-smart idea to begin
with ;).

many thanks,

stijn