[torqueusers] Trouble with prologue script

Tim Miller btmiller at helix.nih.gov
Mon Feb 9 11:44:07 MST 2009

Hello All,

I am experimenting with job prologue scripts and am having trouble. On one
of my nodes I created a file /var/spool/torque/mom_priv/prologue as follows:

[root at h218 ~]# ls -l /var/spool/torque/mom_priv/prologue
-r-x------ 1 root root 38 Feb  9 04:04 /var/spool/torque/mom_priv/prologue

This script is very simple (just prints out a debug message). However, when
I submit a job to the test node (-l nodes=h218) it just goes into an
infinite requeue loop. Looking at the logs, I get the following:

Feb  9 04:05:31 h218 pbs_mom: run_pelog, prolog/epilog failed, file:
/var/spool/torque/mom_priv/prologue, exit: 255, nonzero p/e exit status

I am guessing that the 255 exit status corresponds with exit -1, which
according to the manual indicates that permissions on the prologue script
are not set correctly. I do not understand it since the permission
(owner/group of root and permissions 0500) match with what the manual says
they ought to be. I am not sure how to debug from here, so any help would be
much appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim