[torqueusers] multicore question

Joshua Bernstein jbernstein at penguincomputing.com
Mon Feb 2 12:13:25 MST 2009

Hello,

	The first then you want to do is make sure that each node has the correct
number of cores configured. This can be found in $PBS_HOME/server_priv/nodes.
Each line in that file should name the hostname of the node and contain an np=
value that says how many processors each node has. For example:

# cat /var/spool/torque/server_priv/nodes
n1 np=8
n2 np=8
n3 np=8
n4 np=8

Here, I have four nodes each with 8 cores each. TORQUE will automatically
restrict jobs so that each node doesn't end up in a situation where more cores
are utilized then are available.

If for some reason you set those np= values to a lower number, TORQUE would use
less then the maximum number of cores on the system.

-Joshua Bernstein
Software Engineer
Penguin Computing