[torqueusers] web-based/graphical monitoring tool for torque

Chris Samuel csamuel at vpac.org
Wed Dec 16 15:40:33 MST 2009

/*
 * Apologies for the resend, due to finger trouble
 * the first one went to torquedev not torqueusers!
 */

----- "Dr. Stephan Raub" <raub at uni-duesseldorf.de> wrote:

> Hi,

Hi there,

> our first intention was, that people send us an
> email and we send back the tgz-file.

That's perfectly legitimate under the GPL.

> We wanted to know, who is using <myJAM/>.

Makes good sense!

[...]
> I just registered a sourceforge-project:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/myjam

I commend your actions, that is an excellent idea and
sets a great example for other organisations who don't
have that level of understanding.

> Please understand, that we never wanted to capture
> a project or steal open-source codes to commercialize
> it.

Understood!

> The project is funded by third-party funds but is
> located at the University of Düsseldorf. Therefore,
> all results, publications, etc have to be public domain.

I suspect you didn't really mean public domain, that
(I believe) formally means relinquishing copyright on
the items (as SQLite does for instance) and means that
(a) you have to have all copyrights assigned in the
first place and (b) you can no longer place restrictions
like the GPL on its distribution.

> Bull is the sponsor and of this third-party funding
> and within this cooperation we offer installation
> service and support, if you want to have such things.

Excellent!

[...]
> If you have other comments to the whole situation,
> I would really like to hear (read) them.

Only that I am very impressed by your response and if
I gave the impression that I thought you were trying
to take advantage of it then that certainly was not
my intention!

All the best,
Chris