[torqueusers] Confused about standing reservations

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Tue Dec 15 12:16:02 MST 2009

I am using Maui 3.2.6p21 and Torque 2.4.2b1.  I've got a number of nodes
which are peoples' desktop machines.  Accordingly, I've set up standing
reservations for them so they can get work done during the day.  Here is
one example:

    SRUSERLIST[jeff]       jeff
    SRSTARTTIME[jeff]      6:30:00
    SRENDTIME[jeff]        16:00:00
    SRPERIOD[jeff]         DAY
    SRDAYS[jeff]           MON TUE WED THU FRI
    SRHOSTLIST[jeff]       udesktop190
    SROWNER[jeff]          USER:jeff
    SRMAXTIME[jeff]        0:30:00

If I understand correctly jobs I submit (username==skipm) should not run
on Jeff's machine udesktop190 on weekdays between 06:30 and 16:00.

I submitted this simple shell script via qsub 100 times:

    #!/bin/bash

    sleep 30
    echo $(hostname)
    sleep 30

then waited for it to complete.  After all jobs had run I looked at the
distribution of hosts on which the jobs were run:

    % for f in *.o* ; do tail -1  < $f; done | sort | uniq -c
      26 carrot
      17 cutter
      20 hurt
       6 orion
       3 tuba
      18 udesktop138
       4 udesktop190
       6 udesktop79

Of the machines displayed, all except tuba and udesktop138 have standing
reservations defined similar to the above definition for udesktop190
(differing only in the start and end times and by the user).  All jobs
were submitted within the intersection of all defined restricted times.
As far as I can tell, these jobs should have only run on tuba and
udesktop138.  Why were so many of my jobs executed on restricted
machines?

Thx,

--
Skip Montanaro - skip at pobox.com - http://www.smontanaro.net/