[torqueusers] pbs_mom request, was Re: PBS_MOM kills running jobs when restarted

Chris Samuel csamuel at vpac.org
Mon Dec 14 19:57:38 MST 2009

----- "Chris Samuel" <csamuel at vpac.org> wrote:

> I would argue that you should never start pbs_mom on
> boot, ever.

One counter example that I'd forgotten about (and this
is from memory, though it does seem to agree with what
others have reported to torqueusers before].

We were helping some folks with a MacOSX cluster, they
found that if they ssh'd into a node as root, started
pbs_mom and then logged out the pbs_mom process would
break horribly, I think it would either not appear to
have root privs any more or could no longer find out
about users.

However, if they set it to start as a system process
on boot (via whatever method OSX uses for that) then
it was happy.

Very odd!

cheers,
Chris