[torqueusers] A more specific noob question regarding running non-MPI jobs within Torque/Maui

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Tue Dec 8 14:15:06 MST 2009

On Tue, Dec 08, 2009 at 11:13:51AM -0500, Douglas Wade Needham alleged:
> Thanks everyone for the pointers on pbsdsh.  I started to try it, and
> found that it was not on the compute nodes (now being rectified).  The
> one thing I am curious about is that given its functionality, why is it
> not included in the install wrapper along with pbs_mom.  It seems to me
> that it would go right alongside of it on the compute nodes, even if you
> did not want all the other things in the client group (such as pbsnodes,
> qstat, etc.).

Sure, pbsdsh is useful with pbs_mom, but not required. It is an optional
accessory.

This points to a question of granularity. You can bundle all files into one
package and never both users with the question of what to install. On the other
hand, for various reasons, some people don't want everything installed; so we
split up the files into separate bundles.

We can't solve all people's problems at the same time. We make compromises and
do what we think can work.

University of Southern California

Life is Good!