[torqueusers] STDIN and STDERR files

twurgl at goodyear.com twurgl at goodyear.com
Fri Dec 4 06:10:09 MST 2009

The default is to write the stderr and stdin info to
the /var/spool/torque/spool on the mother superior node.  Then the files
are copied
to the user's initial working dir at the end of the job.
.
You can use --disable-spool when configuring torque to make it write the
files to either your $HOME dir or $HOME/.pbs_spool while the
job is running instead of the mother superior node.  This is better than
the default for us, but my users want to be able to monitor the files
as the job progresses and really want the files to be in the dir where they
started the job while the job is running.

This seems logical to me, and hence my note to the list.

Is there some option to have the files written in the initial dir while the
job is running?

thanks!
tom

----- "Garrick Staples" <garrick at usc.edu> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 03, 2009 at 11:07:17AM -0500, Tom Wurgler alleged:

> > I'd like to have the TORQUE STDIN and STDERR files
> > written to the working dir from whence the user
> > submitted his job.
>
> Isn't that the default?

It is, unless the -koe option has been passed to
the job..

             Garrick Staples
             <garrick at usc.edu>
             torqueusers-bounc         torqueusers at supercluster.org
             es at supercluster.o                                          cc
             rg
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [torqueusers] STDIN and STDERR
             12/03/2009 11:29          files
             AM

On Thu, Dec 03, 2009 at 11:07:17AM -0500, Tom Wurgler alleged:
> I'd like to have the TORQUE STDIN and STDERR files written to the working
dir from
> whence the user submitted his job.

Isn't that the default?

> I found the configure arg that makes it write to the $HOME dir or
> $HOME/.pbs_spool, but would really like it to write to the initial dir.
>
> And I know it eventually copies the files to the working dir, but that is
not
> what the users want.
>
> Is this possible?
>
> thanks for any info

If you don't want spooling, just redirect the output of your command within
the
batch script.

University of Southern California

Life is Good!