[torqueusers] Torque job number increment?

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Thu Apr 30 15:50:01 MDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 04:43:12PM -0500, Amitoj G. Singh alleged:

> I am using Torque 2.3.3 with Maui 3.2.6. I recently noticed that Torque is
> not incrementing the job numbers by 1. I noticed this while parsing
> through the accounting logs. I found that 80% of the time the job numbers
> do increment by 1 but then the other increment is not consistent at all.
> Sometimes the increment is in hundreds or thousands and at other times,
> only a single digit.

It is possible to generate an invalid job with qsub which gets a new jobid but
is never fully queued.  Such a job would never get an accounting record.
Perhaps a user is scripting job submissions and messed up?

> I noticed that there is a "next_job_number" attribute in the
> pbs_server_attributes which I never modify.

Not likely related.

University of Southern California

The pro-disease movement: http://www.jennymccarthybodycount.com/