[torqueusers] Scalability of Torque

Troy Baer tbaer at utk.edu
Thu Apr 23 11:24:05 MDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-04-23 at 11:05 -0600, Jerry Smith wrote:
> >   If you do not distinguish between PBSpro and Torque, and whether
> > they use Maui, MOAB, or pbs_sched as the scheduler. Then #2 and #3
> > also use PBS or Torque.  #3 is 6400 nodes, #2 is nearly 20,000 nodes.
> >
> Does anyone know if each host on these clusters is running a pbs_mom?
> I know of some systems that have  pbs_mom on the front end ( for job
> control etc ),  but the compute partitions are running something else.

On the Cray XT systems running TORQUE to which I have access, there are
pbs_mom's running on the login nodes and some other service nodes, but
not on the individual compute nodes.  Access to the compute nodes is
managed by a Cray-specific service called ALPS, through an mpiexec-like
command called aprun.

	--Troy
--
Troy Baer, HPC System Administrator
National Institute for Computational Sciences, University of Tennessee