[torqueusers] [Mauiusers] Jobs going into incorrect queue

Philip Peartree P.Peartree at postgrad.manchester.ac.uk
Wed Apr 22 07:16:34 MDT 2009

Steve, you seem to have miss understood, I have a default walltime
set, at 2 weeks (336 hours), and therefore the job should go into the
unspec queue, but instead, it is going to the short_2h queue, where it
shouldn't be able to run (since the max queue walltime 2h)

I have included the full output of print server:

#
#
#
# Create and define queue short_2h
#
create queue short_2h
set queue short_2h queue_type = Execution
set queue short_2h Priority = 50
set queue short_2h resources_max.walltime = 02:00:00
set queue short_2h acl_group_enable = True
set queue short_2h acl_groups = nmrc
set queue short_2h enabled = True
set queue short_2h started = True
#
# Create and define queue guest
#
create queue guest
set queue guest queue_type = Execution
set queue guest Priority = 10
set queue guest enabled = True
set queue guest started = True
#
# Create and define queue long_1w
#
create queue long_1w
set queue long_1w queue_type = Execution
set queue long_1w Priority = 30
set queue long_1w resources_max.walltime = 168:00:00
set queue long_1w acl_group_enable = True
set queue long_1w acl_groups = nmrc
set queue long_1w enabled = True
set queue long_1w started = True
#
# Create and define queue med_12h
#
create queue med_12h
set queue med_12h queue_type = Execution
set queue med_12h Priority = 40
set queue med_12h resources_max.walltime = 12:00:00
set queue med_12h acl_group_enable = True
set queue med_12h acl_groups = nmrc
set queue med_12h enabled = True
set queue med_12h started = True
#
# Create and define queue route
#
create queue route
set queue route queue_type = Route
set queue route route_destinations = short_2h
set queue route route_destinations += med_12h
set queue route route_destinations += long_1w
set queue route route_destinations += unspec
set queue route route_destinations += guest
set queue route enabled = True
set queue route started = True
#
# Create and define queue unspec
#
create queue unspec
set queue unspec queue_type = Execution
set queue unspec Priority = 20
set queue unspec acl_group_enable = True
set queue unspec acl_groups = nmrc
set queue unspec enabled = True
set queue unspec started = True
#
# Set server attributes.
#
set server scheduling = True
set server acl_hosts = steel
set server managers = root at steel.mib.man.ac.uk
set server operators = root at steel.mib.man.ac.uk
set server default_queue = route
set server log_events = 511
set server mail_from = adm
set server query_other_jobs = True
set server resources_default.walltime = 336:00:00
set server scheduler_iteration = 600
set server node_check_rate = 150
set server tcp_timeout = 6
set server queue_centric_limits = True
set server mom_job_sync = True
set server keep_completed = 300
set server next_job_number = 9066

Thanks

Phil

Quoting Steve Young <chemadm at hamilton.edu>:

> Hi,
> 	I use a server default for torque.....
>
> set server resources_default.walltime = 24:00:00
>
> This way if they don't specify anything they will default to 24
> hours.  I took the approach that if the user doesn't specify anything
> that they should get a minimal amount of queue time. With this I don't
> have to have a queue to handle unspecified. I'd rather have their job
> finish fairly quick and realize they didn't specify a time than to
> have them go for days/weeks before they realized they didn't specify
> it. I'd hate to have a job run for two weeks and then end up getting
> killed off because I didn't specify my time. Especially for a job that
> can't pick up where it left off and has to start from the beginning
> again. Seems like a waste of resources to me. Not sure if this helps
> you any. Could you send the output of the rest of the qmgr output?
> It's hard to tell why it's getting to the unspec queue if we can't see
> the config for it.
>
> -Steve
>

> On Apr 21, 2009, at 1:06 PM, Philip Peartree wrote:
>
>> The default queue is the routing queue, which should place the job
>> based on allowed time, that is why it's so puzzling that the jobs end
>> up in the short_2h queue, as they should be rejected by that and
>> others until it reaches the unspec queue.
>>

>> Quoting "Greenseid, Joseph M (IS)" <Joseph.Greenseid at ngc.com>:
>>
>>> have you tried to set the default queue (set server default_queue =
>>> unspec) in qmgr?  this is how i route jobs that don't specify
>>> resources to a default location...
>>>
>>> --Joe

>>> 12h queue