[torqueusers] Citing Torque/Moab?

Josh Butikofer josh at clusterresources.com
Thu Apr 16 13:12:10 MDT 2009

Zach,

Zach Teitler wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am preparing an article that, among other things, will mention the
> use of Torque and Moab for big computations in pure mathematics. Since
> most mathematicians working in "pure" areas (as opposed to applied
> areas) will not be familiar with this kind of software, I want to give
> a brief explanation of what it is, including a citation. If anyone can
> give me information about citing Torque and/or Moab, I would
> appreciate it a lot.

I'd say that link you have is a pretty good starting place for finding out about
TORQUE.

> For example, we might put something like,
>
> ``TorquePBS: Portable Batch Scheduler'', http://www.clusterresources.com/pages/products/torque-resource-manager.php

I don't think you need to put "TorquePBS". The official name is TORQUE and it is
based on code from the original OpenPBS code.

> but it would be nice to have some kind of ``author'' and date. And is
> there another web page that would be better? Any suggestions would be
> very welcome!

I might be wrong, but it seems to me that this depends on the formatting and
style guide your paper must adhere to. Some style guides just have you use the
company name as the author and the date can be the day you accessed the website.
So, for example, the author would be "Cluster Resources, Inc." and the date
could be "April 16, 2009". Other styles may not even require the author or date.
Just depends on what the conference/journal the paper is intended for requires.

I hear there are people who have degrees in Library Science--they probably know
the whole truth about this matter! :)

--Josh B.