[torqueusers] Authentication on cluster nodes

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Thu Apr 16 12:53:33 MDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 01:58:42PM -0400, Mary Ellen Fitzpatrick alleged:
> I am having some trouble getting the user authorization working.
> Running torque-2.3.6 on Centos5
> The pam README indicates that this module is to be installed on the
> pbs_mom hosts used to authorize users with running jobs.
> I installed the torque-package-pam-linux-x86_64.sh package on the
> management node, which is my NIS server and user login nodes.

Do you run jobs on the management node?  It is only useful on machines where
you run jobs.

As the README says, install it on hosts that run pbs_mom.

> Which /etc/pam.d/PAM config do I add:   account    sufficient
> pam_pbssimpleauth.so
> system-auth-ac?  or  do I create a new pam module for it?
> pam_pbssimpleauth..

It's up to you.  On my cluster I added it to ftp, login, rlogin, rsh, and ssh.
I didn't add it to system-auth because it prevents cron and su from being
allowed to non-priv accounts.

> Also, does the torque-package-pam-linux-x86_64.sh need to be installed
> on the compute nodes as well.

Whereever you want to use it, it needs to be installed.

Again, since it talks to pbs_mom, and it's function is to authorize users that
have running jobs, it is only useful on compute nodes.

University of Southern California

The pro-disease movement: http://www.jennymccarthybodycount.com/