[torqueusers] localhost qsub and spartan

Tony Schreiner schreian at bc.edu
Fri Sep 26 07:57:17 MDT 2008

I realize this question is more about the Spartan application than
qsub, but I'm wondering something before I contact Waveform

I was tasked with installing Torque on a single system with 8 cores,
so that the users could be limited in how many simultaneous runs they
make. The setup went fine and users are limited to 4 simultaneous
running jobs.

However, then I learned spartan is run interactively, the following

qsub -I -X
spartan

starts up, but there is a licensing error:
Spartan error: Remote Builder not licensed

it looks like the job is being treated as if it's on a remote system
even though everything is on the local host. What is the mechanism,
is there an rsh to the localhost?

Thanks,
Tony Schreiner
Boston College