[torqueusers] installed torque-2.3.3: "cannot open libtorque.so.2"

Jonathan Billings jsbillin at umich.edu
Thu Sep 25 09:19:06 MDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 10:00:11AM -0500, Zhiliang Hu wrote:
> Thanks James,
>
> The '/usr/local/lib' is already in /etc/ld.so.conf:
>
> > cat /etc/ld.so.conf
> include ld.so.conf.d/*.conf
> /opt/openmpi.gcc/lib
> /usr/local/lib
>
> "/sbin/ldconfig" seems to be a binary file.  Did you mean I should
>
>   echo '/usr/local/lib' >> /sbin/ldconfig  ?

I believe he meant you to run '/sbin/ldconfig', which creates the
appropriate links and caches dynamic library information found in the
directories specified by the ld.so.conf* files, to be used by the
run-time linker.

While, this may work, if I were just building from the torque tarball
and installing into /usr/local, I'd prefer to build the executables
with /usr/local/lib added to their runtime library search path, using
-rpath /usr/local/lib when the software was compiled.  This  isn't
done by the default configure/make, but just set
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-rpath,/usr/local/lib" before running configure.

I guess I just don't want other binaries on the system looking in
/usr/local/lib when searching for libraries.

--
Jonathan Billings <jsbillin at umich.edu>
The College of Language, Science, and the Arts