[torqueusers] installed torque-2.3.3: "cannot open libtorque.so.2"

Lloyd Brown lloyd_brown at byu.edu
Thu Sep 25 09:06:18 MDT 2008

Zhiliang Hu wrote:
> Thanks James,
> The '/usr/local/lib' is already in /etc/ld.so.conf:
>> cat /etc/ld.so.conf
> include ld.so.conf.d/*.conf
> /opt/openmpi.gcc/lib
> /usr/local/lib
> "/sbin/ldconfig" seems to be a binary file.  Did you mean I should
>   echo '/usr/local/lib' >> /sbin/ldconfig  ?
> Zhiliang

Actually, "ldconfig" is the tool that updates the linking path cache
based on what's in /etc/ld.so.conf.  I think he meant you to run
ldconfig after you made sure /usr/local/lib was in /etc/ld.so.conf.

One way to tell what's going on is to use the "ldd" command.  It'll tell
you which libraries the binary needs, and if/where it found them.  So,
if your "qstat" and "qsub", etc., are in /usr/local/bin/, you could run

ldd /usr/local/bin/qstat

ldd /usr/local/bin/qsub

If you see any "not found" messages, that's the problem.  The ld.so.conf
and ldconfig stuff is a way of updating the cache, so the ldd command
again after running ldconfig as root.

Lloyd Brown
Systems Administrator
Fulton Supercomputing Lab