[torqueusers] Re: Memory Limits with torque/maui & enforcement

Åke Sandgren ake.sandgren at hpc2n.umu.se
Fri Sep 19 01:04:08 MDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-09-18 at 13:18 -0600, Josh Butikofer wrote:
> You may want to use pvmem as opposed to just pmem. Sometimes Linux has a hard time enforcing pmem
> because of the way it handles virtual memory. In my experience, pvmem behaves more as expected. I
> would try both out and see which seems to work better in your case.

To be specific the linux kernel does NOT enforce pmem (RLIMIT_RSS,
ulimit -m) at all. There was pieces of such code in the kernel up to
2.4.15 or so when they removed it completely.
There is still no such code in at least the 2.6 based kernels.

I'm still hoping that they will start doing it again... but i won't hold
my breath.

Internet: ake at hpc2n.umu.se   Phone: +46 90 7866134 Fax: +46 90 7866126