[torqueusers] Compiling Torque in Cygwin

Joshua Bernstein jbernstein at penguincomputing.com
Thu Sep 11 11:54:13 MDT 2008

Hi Darcy,

Darcy Quick wrote:
> Has anyone had luck getting Torque working in Cygwin?  I need to run a
> pbs_mom on a Windows node.  There's no mention of it in the OS notes in
> INSTALL.

As people have said on the list, client commands and the pbs_server will
build nicely, though in 2.3.3, at least, there isn't a pbs_mom type for
Windows.

This seems strange to me because Cluster Resources and others have
claimed to be able to build hybrid clusters (or use Xen/VMWare to boot
Windows on top of Linux). Now I assumed that was done by placing a
pbs_mom on the Windows compute nodes, and thus allow them to be
scheduled by Moab just like any other node. This of course would require
a windows version of pbs_mom.

Perhaps though they have some other interface, that allows Moab to
directly interface with something on the Windows Node.

In any case, considering pbs_mom doesn't build, I'd be curious how these
hybrid clusters are getting scheduled.

In anybody on this list running a hybrid cluster?

-Joshua Bernstein
Software Engineer
Penguin Computing