[torqueusers] Multiple instances of Torque problem

Joshua Bernstein jbernstein at penguincomputing.com
Wed Sep 10 14:49:12 MDT 2008

Jeremy Mann wrote:
>> Hi Jeremy,
>>
>> After the second installation have you checked to see what /etc/services
>> looks like? IIRC, the q commands will look at /etc/services to see which
>> port they are supposed to contact. Perhaps your 36001 replaced the
>> default of 15001, or more likely there are two entries, and the one for
>> 36001 comes last, thus making it the default.
>>
>> -Joshua Bernstein
>> Software Engineer
>> Penguin Computing
>
> Interesting, I didn't consider that. The services file does not have entries
> for either 15001 or 36001. I'm going to add the entries for the 15001
> installation and restart both queues. I did notice that if I restarted
> the normal installation after starting the 36001 installation, everything
> was back to normal. Maybe this will force Torque to use the default
> installation.

It worth a shot, I suppose. I have entries in /etc/services as follows:

# Standard PBS services
pbs           15001/tcp           # pbs server (pbs_server)
pbs_mom       15002/tcp           # mom to/from server
pbs_resmom    15003/tcp           # mom resource management requests
pbs_sched     15004/udp           # scheduler

-Joshua Bernstein
Software Engineer
Penguin Computing