[torqueusers] pbs_mom unable to chdir to automounted dirs

Gabe Turner gabe at msi.umn.edu
Thu Oct 23 08:42:21 MDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 10:13:00AM -0400, Mary Ellen Fitzpatrick wrote:
> The reason I do not want to hard mount, is that if I reboot my nfs
> server then it will hang, as all of the nodes will be hard mounted to
> that server. And I believe it is less load on the nfs server if
> automount servers the dirs only requested instead of all nfs dirs.

The server shouldn't hang, but the clients certainly will.  I've actually
considered this a feature in my compute cluster as it keeps some jobs from
getting an I/O error and dying.

There are some other things you can maybe try, however:

1) Using soft NFS mounts (mount with the 'soft' option on the client side).

2) Using autofs ghost mounts.  If you're using a relatively recent version
of automount, it should support a -g option which causes it to create
directories for all of the mounts within the automount point, but it
doesn't actually mount anything until necessary.  I actually do use autofs
on some systems running pbs_mom and I don't have the problems you're
having.  Perhaps it's because I'm using ghosts, though, I'm not sure.

HTH,

Gabe

Gabe Turner                                             gabe at msi.umn.edu
UNIX System Administrator,