[torqueusers] pbs_sched and one or more many CPU nodes.

James J Coyle jjc at iastate.edu
Mon Oct 20 14:24:39 MDT 2008

Torque/pbs_sched users,

  I'm managing a cluster and use pbs_sched.

  I have a reasonably large (144 node) homogeneous cluster of 4 processor/8GB
nodes.  It is running well.

  I now need to add at least one, perhaps more nodes which are
32 processor/128GB nodes.

  One way is to treat this as a separate (maybe just single node) cluster
the other is to incorporate it into the existing queuing system.

  Has anyone incorporated nodes with such a large disparity in capability
into a single PBS structure?

   Ideally one would want only jobs > 4 cpus and < 32 cpus to run on
this/these nodes.

   Has anyone done this with pbs_sched?
If so, can you dump the qmgr setting with
qmgr -c 'p s' > state_file
and share it with me, and maybe the nodes file if that is also needed?

Thanks,
--
 James Coyle, PhD
 SGI Origin, Xeon and Opteron Cluster Manager