[torqueusers] qalter -s "comment"?

David Singleton David.Singleton at anu.edu.au
Wed Oct 15 14:01:35 MDT 2008

I guess you are assuming that the scheduler wont change the
job comment once the job is running.  In general, a manually
set job comment could be overwritten by the scheduler soon
after (unless your scheduler can be told not to set job
comments).  Is the comment the right place for this?

For a Quadrics RMS system, we modified OpenPBS to put the
"RMS resource id" (analogous to the ALPS reservation id) in the
PBS altid job attribute.  It seems to me this is compatible with
how altid was used for IRIX arrays and UNICOS jobs. We modified
qalter (added a -i option) to allow the setting of altid manually
if necessary.  Mostly we handled RMS directly from the scheduler
and MOM using the RMS API.  I believe ALPS has a fairly extensive
API as well.

David