[torqueusers] question about qstat xml output

Josh Butikofer josh at clusterresources.com
Wed Oct 8 11:56:11 MDT 2008

Randall,

See my comments below:

Randall Svancara wrote:
> I have a question about the XML output with the command qstat.
>
> In version 2.3.3 of torque, the command, qstat -x outputs XML like this:
>
> <Job>651.local-gw.mainlab <-----------XXX_PROBLEM_XXX
> <Job_Name>test_job</Job_Name>
> <Job_Owner>testuser at local-gw.mainlab</Job_Owner>
> <resources_used>
> <cput>00:00:00</cput>
>

> As you can see, there is a problem with the XML in that it should be
> something like this:
>
> <Job Job_Id="651.local-gw.mainlab">
> <Job_Name>test_job</Job_Name>
> <Job_Owner>testuser at local-gw.mainlab</Job_Owner>
> <resources_used>
> <cput>00:00:00</cput>
>
> or something like this:
>
> <Job>
> <Job_Id>651.local-gw.mainlab</Job_Id>
> <Job_Name>test_job</Job_Name>
> <Job_Owner>testuser at local-gw.mainlab</Job_Owner>
> <resources_used>
> <cput>00:00:00</cput>
>
> So my first question is what is the reason for formatting the XML the
> way that it is, and my second question can I provide a patch to fix this
> issue?

I suspect that this is a bug in the XML formatting code and that it
shouldn't be formatted in this way. I agree that it isn't a good way of
doing XML. :)

> I have modified the torque qstat command to output the XML as
> demonstrated in my second example.  But I would rather have any changes
> incorporated into upstream versions if possible.

Post your patch and if it looks good we will probably put it into the
repository so others can benefit.

--
Josh Butikofer | Director of Grid Technologies
Direct Line: 801-717-3707 | Fax: 801-717-3738