[torqueusers] assigning specific nodes to queues

Dennis Davis D.H.Davis at bath.ac.uk
Fri Oct 3 09:37:22 MDT 2008

On Fri, 3 Oct 2008, Greenseid, Joseph M. wrote:

> From: "Greenseid, Joseph M." <Joseph.Greenseid at ngc.com>
> To: torqueusers at supercluster.org
> Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2008 07:48:23 -0500
> Subject: [torqueusers] assigning specific nodes to queues
>
> i saw in the archives that this has been asked before, but i
> didn't see that there was ever resolution, so i apologize in
> advance for asking again if there was an i missed it.
>
> i am trying to define a queue named "test," and have two nodes
> specifically assigned to it.
>
> the test queue is defined as such:
>

> create queue test
> set queue test queue_type = Execution
> set queue test acl_host_enable = False
> set queue test acl_hosts = compute-12-13.hpcc.local
> set queue test acl_hosts += compute-12-12.hpcc.local
> set queue test resources_max.cput = 01:00:00
> set queue test resources_max.ncpus = 16
> set queue test resources_max.nodect = 2
> set queue test resources_max.walltime = 01:00:00
> set queue test resources_min.cput = 00:00:01
> set queue test resources_min.ncpus = 1
> set queue test resources_min.nodect = 1
> set queue test resources_min.walltime = 00:00:01
> set queue test resources_default.cput = 00:30:00
> set queue test resources_default.ncpus = 1
> set queue test resources_default.nodect = 1
> set queue test resources_default.walltime = 00:30:00
> set queue test resources_available.nodect = 2
> set queue test enabled = True
> set queue test started = True
>

> however, when i try to run a job in this queue (in my job script,
> i specify "#PBS -q test"), it not running on either of these two
> nodes. i have tried changing the attributes of these two nodes in
> the nodes file to be of the form "compute-12-12.hpcc.local np=8
> test" but that didn't help, either.
>

> i am running a slightly older version, 2.1.8, but that cannot
> be helped for the time being, and there was nothing in the
> documentation i saw that said this was specific to certain
> versions.

Won't this depend somewhat on the scheduler you are using?  What you
are doing *should* work with maui/moab.  See:

http://www.clusterresources.com/products/mwm/docs/12.1nodelocation.shtml#open

I've seen configurations using this technique.  Haven't (yet) tried
it myself but I presume it works.

The technique suggested by Steve Young is documented in:

http://www.clusterresources.com/wiki/doku.php?id=torque:4.1_queue_configuration

(And yes, the reason I'm giving these URLs is because I'm trying to
 work out how to drive the cluster I'm likely to help administer :-)
--
Dennis Davis, BUCS, University of Bath, Bath, BA2 7AY, UK
D.H.Davis at bath.ac.uk               Phone: +44 1225 386101