[torqueusers] 0-size .o and .e files?

Caird, Andrew J acaird at umich.edu
Fri Nov 21 11:46:38 MST 2008

Thanks Gus, good ideas.

--andy

-----Original Message-----
From: torqueusers-bounces at supercluster.org [mailto:torqueusers-bounces at supercluster.org] On Behalf Of Gus Correa
Sent: Wednesday, November 19, 2008 7:07 PM
To: Torque Users
Subject: Re: [torqueusers] 0-size .o and .e files?

Andrew J Caird wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Nov 2008, Garrick Staples wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 01:57:01PM -0500, Andrew J Caird alleged:
>>

>>> Is there a way to have torque simply not create (or not copy back)
>>> 0-size .e and .o files?
>>

>> If we did that, then users would wonder if there was any output.
>> They wouldn't be able to distinguish between an error or success.
>>
>> You can merge the files together with -k to reduce the number of files.
>

> Yes, they would wonder that.  Except for the one guy who asked for it. ;)
>
> Thanks.
>
> --andy

Hello

Maybe you can use a torque epilogue script  to delete the empty .o .e
files for that user:
http://www.clusterresources.com/wiki/doku.php?id=torque:appendix:g_prologue_and_epilogue_scripts.

However, for a single user, a "cron" shell script to sweep his directories
and get rid of empty files, say, once a day, may be a more sensible
solution.

Gus Correa

Gustavo J. Ponce Correa, PhD - Email: gus at ldeo.columbia.edu
P.O. Box 1000 [61 Route 9W] - Palisades, NY, 10964-8000 - USA