[torqueusers] TORQUE 2.3.5 Has Been Released

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Fri Nov 21 01:05:08 MST 2008

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 11:21:27PM +0100, Morten Kjeldgaard alleged:
> Hi,
>
> I have encountered a few problems compiling torque 2.3.5 out of the box
> using version 4.3.1 of gcc, and using the strict compilation flags -Wall
> and -Werror. At the end of this message, I have attached a tarball with
> patches that fix these (mostly trivial) issues.
>

> 1) The first set of problems need to be solved by "hardening" certain
> subroutine calls. For example, the compiler now wants us to check the
> return value of certain subroutine calls, such as freopen. Therefore,
> these calls need to be wrapped like this:
>
>  if (!freopen(dbfile, "a", stdout)) {
>    perror("lockout, attempting to freopen dbfile");
>    exit(1);
>  }
>
> Another requirement by the compiler is that
>
>  print (buf);
>
> is no longer allowed (when using -Werror); it gives this warning:
>
>  warning: format not a string literal and no format arguments
>
> The solution is to change such constructs into:
>
>  print ("%s", buf);

Thanks.  I will commit these.

> 2) A second problem I encountered -- it has been present in torque for a
> while -- is that you get an error if the list of configure arguments is
> very long:
>
>  pbsd_main.c: In function ‘main’:
>  pbsd_main.c:689: error: string length ‘781’ is greater than the length
>    ‘509’ ISO C90 compilers are required to support
>
> I have solved this problem by truncating PBS_CONFIG_ARGS in pbs_config.h
> after configure has run. I can't say how this could be solved in a
> satisfactory manner, perhaps PBS_CONFIG_ARGS could be written to an ELF
> .text section and linked to the program.

Assuming an ELF file wouldn't be portable.

Maybe we move this function to pbs-config?

> 3) The third problem is that since TclX 8.4, the file tclxConfig.sh no
> longer exists in the TclX distribution. However, the configure script
> still relies on it. I have solved this problem by editing the 8.3
> version of tclxConfig.sh to contain the locally correct values of the
> various variables, and pointing configure to that file via the --tclx
> switch.

Does anyone care about tclx?  Does anyone use it?

> 4) Finally, there is a large number of hyphen-used-as-minus errors in
> the man pages, there's also a patch included to fix these issues.

Is this really an error?  The manpages have been this way for many years
without a problem.

University of Southern California

Revoke LDS Church 501(c)(3) Status - http://lds501c3.wordpress.com/