[torqueusers] TORQUE 2.3.5 Has Been Released

Morten Kjeldgaard mok at bioxray.au.dk
Thu Nov 20 15:21:27 MST 2008

Hi,

I have encountered a few problems compiling torque 2.3.5 out of the box
using version 4.3.1 of gcc, and using the strict compilation flags -Wall
and -Werror. At the end of this message, I have attached a tarball with
patches that fix these (mostly trivial) issues.

1) The first set of problems need to be solved by "hardening" certain
subroutine calls. For example, the compiler now wants us to check the
return value of certain subroutine calls, such as freopen. Therefore,
these calls need to be wrapped like this:

  if (!freopen(dbfile, "a", stdout)) {
    perror("lockout, attempting to freopen dbfile");
    exit(1);
  }

Another requirement by the compiler is that

  print (buf);

is no longer allowed (when using -Werror); it gives this warning:

  warning: format not a string literal and no format arguments

The solution is to change such constructs into:

  print ("%s", buf);

2) A second problem I encountered -- it has been present in torque for a
while -- is that you get an error if the list of configure arguments is
very long:

  pbsd_main.c: In function ‘main’:
  pbsd_main.c:689: error: string length ‘781’ is greater than the length
    ‘509’ ISO C90 compilers are required to support

I have solved this problem by truncating PBS_CONFIG_ARGS in pbs_config.h
after configure has run. I can't say how this could be solved in a
satisfactory manner, perhaps PBS_CONFIG_ARGS could be written to an ELF
.text section and linked to the program.

3) The third problem is that since TclX 8.4, the file tclxConfig.sh no
longer exists in the TclX distribution. However, the configure script
still relies on it. I have solved this problem by editing the 8.3
version of tclxConfig.sh to contain the locally correct values of the
various variables, and pointing configure to that file via the --tclx
switch.

4) Finally, there is a large number of hyphen-used-as-minus errors in
the man pages, there's also a patch included to fix these issues.

Cheers,
Morten

--
Morten Kjeldgaard, asc. professor, MSc, PhD
BiRC - Bioinformatics Research Center, Aarhus University