[torqueusers] more about torque queues

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Sat Nov 15 08:14:46 MST 2008

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 01:37:28PM -0700, Sarah Mulholland alleged:
> I'm running torque-2.1.6 without maui or moab.  Right now we only have one queue.  I'd like to have high priority jobs take precedence.  I don't need to preempt the current job.
>
> I see a "priority" on qsub.  Is that job priority or queue priority?  Experiments suggest that the value is ignored.
>
> If I create two queues, one with high and one with low priority, can both queues use all the resources?  Or must separate queues be allocated separate resources as in the admin guide example (section 4.1.4)?
>
> What I'd like is for a high priority job to move to the front of the scheduling queue.  Is this possible with torque alone?  Is there some other documentation I should be reading besides the admin guide that gives more details on queue behavior and configurations?
>
> Thanks in advance.

The sample fifo scheduler clearly has code that looks at job priority.  I also
see a "sort_by" scheduler config that can sort by priority.

Maybe someone else has actual experience with priorities with the fifo sched.

University of Southern California

Revoke LDS Church 501(c)(3) Status - http://lds501c3.wordpress.com/