[torqueusers] torque 2.3.4 problem with mom_priv/confg and server_name

Josh Butikofer josh at clusterresources.com
Thu Nov 13 12:06:59 MST 2008

Chris Samuel wrote:
> ----- "Garrick Staples" <garrick at usc.edu> wrote:
>
>> But now the soname has gone back in time to libtorque.so.0, breaking
>> binaries again.... during a stable release branch.
>
> Hmm, won't that cause distro packagers issues too ?
>
> Though many of them may still be packaging 2.1.x (Ubuntu
> Intrepid has 2.1.8 for example).

Obviously this was not intended. Looks like there was a misunderstanding
on our side that using a -version-info of 2:0:2 would create both a
libtorque.so.0 and libtorque.so.2. This is not the case and I suspect
that during our tests we had an old libtorque.so.2 floating around...

In any case, this does need to be fixed. I think the best thing to do is
to revert back to the 2:0:0 versioning and release 2.3.5. We do,
however, also need a libtorque.so.0 symlink in the lib dir, as there are
still many binaries that link against that (which when the library was
moved to libtorque.so.2, has caused some inconveniences for a lot of
people). This was the whole motivation for going to a 2:0:2 version.

I propose we add a install-exec-hook to the Makefile.am/.in files in
src/lib/Libpbs which creates this symlink. What does everyone think?

For example, here is what I propose:

install-exec-hook:
   cd $(DESTDIR)$(libdir) && \
     rm -f $(DESTDIR)$(libdir)/libtorque.so.0 && \
     $(LN_S) libtorque.so.2.0.0 libtorque.so.0

The only problem with this is I'm hard coding the filenames. I'm not a
automake/autoconf wizard ... does anyone know a more portable way of
doing this?

--Josh B.