[torqueusers] Log file rolling and man page

Stephen Childs childss at cs.tcd.ie
Thu Nov 13 04:46:42 MST 2008

We had the following configuration for logging on our torque server:

set server log_events = 511
set server log_level = 0
set server log_file_max_size = 0
set server log_file_roll_depth = 10

This resulted in the log file being rolled every 5 minutes, so by the end
of the day all we were left with was logs for the last 50 minutes of the day!

The man entry for log_file_max_size implies that log_file_max_size won't
take effect unless a value greater than 0 is set. However,
log_file_roll_depth says that if log_file_max_size *is set* (to any value
including 0), rolling will take place. The latter appears to be the truth!

Could I suggest removing the phrase "to a value > 0" from the
log_file_max_size entry in the man page? This would reflect the behaviour
more accurately.

Stephen

 From server_attributes man page:

  log_file_max_size
                  If this is set to a value > 0 then pbs_server will roll
the current log  file  to  logfile.1  when  its  size  is  greater  than
or  equal  to  the  value  of
                  log_file_max_size. This value is interpreted as kilobytes.

           log_file_roll_depth
                  If this is set to a value >=1 and log_file_max_size is
set then pbs_server will continue rolling the log files to
logfile.log_file_roll_depth.

Stephen
--
Dr. Stephen Childs,
Research Fellow, EGEE Project,    phone:                    +353-1-8961797