[torqueusers] Supercomputing 2008 and TORQUE BOF

Josh Butikofer josh at clusterresources.com
Wed Nov 5 17:08:19 MST 2008

Everyone,

Many of you have attended the Supercomputing conferences in past years
and have taken part in a TORQUE BOF (birds-of-a-feather) meeting. During
these meetings we discuss what we've accomplished with TORQUE over the
past year, what we would like to do during the next year, hear feedback
from the community, etc. In past years we registered the BOF with
Supercomputing, allowing us to reserve a room and time at the conference
center itself.

I'm told that several months ago we tried registering for the TORQUE
BOF, but Supercomputing 2008 (SC08) didn't have room for us. My question
to the community is: do you feel that we need to have a TORQUE BOF this
year? Is this a gathering that the community values and feels is
important? If so, we will work to come up with alternate accommodations
during SC08--perhaps at a local hotel. The downside with this
alternative is, of course, transportation issues: we probably will not
providing any kind of shuttle for an offsite TORQUE BOF. Another option
is to hold a smaller BOF of sorts at the Cluster Resources booth.
(Smaller only because our booth is not big enough to accommodate all
interested parties...but it might be pretty interesting to see all of
the TORQUE users trying to squeeze onto our pad!)

According to recent posts on the TORQUE development mailing list, VPAC
will be having a small development meeting at their booth (looks like
you should talk to Chris Samuel about the details). It may be that this
smaller meeting will be sufficient. But maybe not.

In short, if you have an opinion, please let us know what you would like
to do for SC08 in place of the usual TORQUE BOF.

Thanks,

--
Josh Butikofer
Cluster Resources, Inc.