[torqueusers] poll_jobs server parameter setting behaviour

Virendra Pratap. Singh vpsingh at yahoo-inc.com
Thu May 29 04:30:17 MDT 2008

Hi All,

  I want to understand the behaviour of "poll_jobs" torque server
parameter. The description of this from the documentation
http://www.clusterresources.com/torquedocs21/a.bserverparameters.shtml
states:

poll_jobs	<BOOLEAN> 	TRUE (FALSE in TORQUE 1.2.0p5 and
earlier)	if set to TRUE, pbs_server will poll job info from mom's
over time and will not block on handling requests which require this job
information.  If not set, no polling will occur and if job information
is requested which is stale, pbs_server may block while it attempts to
update this information.  NOTE:  For large systems, this value should be
set to TRUE.

So this is the situation in which I want to understand its behavior. I
have this parameter set to TRUE. I do a "qstat" to enquire about my
submitted job. I believe if the server has a NON stale data for this job
with itself it will return that. Incase the job data is stale it will
make a non blocking call to the respective processing nodes mom for the
fresh info on this job. Since the call is non blocking, due to any
reason the mom/server communication doesn't goes through, then WHAT will
be the info returned by the server for this qstat request.
    Will the server return the STALE info in this case or what?

Regards,
Virendra