[torqueusers] X forwarding in interactive session

Justin Finnerty justin.finnerty at uni-oldenburg.de
Wed May 28 12:31:41 MDT 2008

> 2) I think the -X from qsub does not work for me because I don't have
> ssh running on the nodes. Our cluster has a very bare-bones setup for
> the nodes and ssh is not part of the node configuration. I also don't
> have X running on the nodes - although I don't think that's necessary if
> I am forwarding the display elsewhere.

There is often confusion here because we install and think of X as one
thing but it is really two parts, the client libraries and the server.
You need the client libraries (libX11, libXt etc... for barebones X and
the Qt and/or Gtk etc for most other things on linux...) on the nodes as
the X client applications use these on the client side.  You just don't
need the X server application and libraries.  Or you need to have linked
your client application statically.

Cheers
        Justin

--
Dr Justin Finnerty
Rm W3-1-218         Ph 49 (441) 798 3726