[torqueusers] Multiple moms

Glen Beane glen.beane at gmail.com
Thu May 22 11:32:05 MDT 2008

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 10:17 AM, Charles Johnson <
charles.johnson at accre.vanderbilt.edu> wrote:

> We use nagios to monitor an array of situations on our cluster. We have had
> an oddity show up. We monitor the number of pbs_mom's running on a given
> node. Nagios was set to report more than one mom running on a given node. We
> have occasionally seen as many as three. Moreover, a few of the mom's have
> user uid's rather than root, even though only root can start a mom. We have
> altered nagios to ignore multiple mom's less than 5.
>
> Does anyone have an explanation, or better yet point me to appropriate
> documentation.

I can't point you to any documentation, but this is normal behavior.  In
several cases the mom will fork a child process to do some task that may
take a while to complete so the parent mom can remain responsive.  The moms
that fork to the users uid are usually copying output files back to the user
home directory.