[torqueusers] Submission number limits?

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Thu May 8 12:41:42 MDT 2008

On Thu, May 08, 2008 at 12:39:00PM -0500, Jeremy Mann alleged:

> Garrick Staples wrote:
>
> > The trick is to limit the number of jobs visible to the scheduler by using
> > routing queue to spool jobs into the execution queue.
> >
> > So you do something like this:
> >
> > create queue spoolq queue_type = Route, route_destinations = execq
> > create queue execq  queue_type = E, max_queueable=1000
> >
> > Submit jobs to spoolq and it should handlelarge numbers of jobs.
>
> Thanks Garrick, I think this did the trick since the scheduler is still
> running. One question though, why would the jobs start running backwards?
> Consider this, we queued up jobs 137249 to 169972. The higher numbered
> jobs started entering the spoolq queue before the lower numbered jobs.

When pbs_server is looking through its list of jobs in the routing queue, it is
going to a certain amount of time to check each one.  During that time, jobs
will exit the execution queue.  Since conditions are changing while the jobs in
the routing queue are checked, sometimes higher numbered jobs get routed before
earlier jobs.

The routing queues are not fifo!

University of Southern California