[torqueusers] Qsub interactively (-I), Expect and standard output problem

James J Coyle jjc at iastate.edu
Thu Jun 26 09:05:33 MDT 2008

Charles,

  You need  a sequence of send and expect commands, and are missing the
expect right after the spawn.  The expect command is just to wait for
my tcsh prompt which is just
'> '

  You can get the same prompt by having set prompt='> '
in your ~/.cshrc file.

  The following script works for me:

#!/usr/bin/expect
# Submit interactive job
spawn -noecho /usr/local/torque/bin/qsub -I
# Give job some commands
expect -re "\> \n"
send "date; echo 'Hello' \r"
expect -re ".*llo\n"
exit

and gives:

 time ./aae
qsub: waiting for job 121288.hpc4 to start
qsub: job 121288.hpc4 ready

> date; echo 'Hello'
Thu Jun 26 09:56:30 CDT 2008
Hello
> 0.000u 0.001s 0:19.33 0.0%    0+0k 0+0io 0pf+0w

There seems to be about a 20 second overhead on my system when
using expect and qsub -I , 10 sec. on the way in and 10 sec.
on the way out.

--
 James Coyle, PhD
 SGI Origin, Alpha, Xeon and Opteron Cluster Manager