[torqueusers] Torque submit filter problems

Chris Samuel csamuel at vpac.org
Mon Jun 23 19:42:40 MDT 2008

Hi all,

We've been battling some problems with getting parallel
Matlab Distributed Computing Server jobs working on our
cluster and not having much luck.

Turns out it was down to the fact that our submit filter
is written in shell (as per the example on the CR website)
and that meant that any escaped characters (like \n for a
newline, or a continuation line ending with a \ ) were
loosing their backslash and hence breaking rather badly.

We've just rewritten it in Python and have solved the problem.

Can someone update the CR Wiki to maybe recommend that
these scripts aren't written in shell please ?

Because I suspect that this is going to bite anyone else
with non trivial scripts.

cheers!
Chris