[torqueusers] Returned job id does not equal qstat id.

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Fri Jun 20 12:33:35 MDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 03:23:03PM +0200, Steve Traylen alleged:
> Hi,
>
>  I am trying to diagnose someone else's troque server and have become
> stuck for ideas.
>
>  $ qsub test.sh
>
>  returns something like
>
>  12345.torque-host.example.org
>
>  However
>
>  $ qstat 12345.torque-host.example.org
>
>  returns "no such job"
>
>  And indeed
>
>  $ qstat
>
>  shows the the job as being called
>
>  12345.torque-host
>
>  with the shortname.
>
>  /var/spool/pbs/server_name  contains the long name torque-host.example.org
>  and
>  hostname and hostname -f both return the long name torque-host.example.org
>
>  what else can set the hostname of the jobid to be short rather than
> long within a qstat?

I think you will find that the reverse resolution doesn't match the forward.
torque-host.example.org resolves to x.x.x.x which reverses to torque-host.

pbs_server has an internal hostname that defaults to the reverse of the IP.
You can set it with 'set server server_name=foo.example.org'.

University of Southern California