[torqueusers] Configuring Torque for local-only use on Mac OS X

Kevin Murphy murphy at genome.chop.edu
Wed Jun 11 11:20:09 MDT 2008

Jim Prewett wrote:
> What happens when you 'ping localhost' ?
> Do you have an entry for localhost in /etc/hosts?  Personally, I would
> make sure that I had an entry for my hostname in /etc/hosts and use that
> hostname as the server hostname.

Yes, ping of localhost works always, as you would expect, and yes, it's
in /etc/hosts.  The laptop likes to assume different hostnames depending
on what network it's connected to, which is why I tried the localhost
approach as mentioned in an old thread on this mailing list ....  I also
tried setting the hostname  in /etc/hostname to a non-special name, e.g.
'kevinland' (also mapped to 127.0.0.1 in /etc/hosts), but I get the same
results.  I notice that the mom is able to proactively send status to
the pbs_server, which it does periodically, but the pbs_server isn't
able to contact the mom.  Thus the status of the node bounces back and
forth between 'free' and 'down'.

-Kevin