[torqueusers] newbie questions

Brock Palen brockp at umich.edu
Fri Jun 6 08:39:43 MDT 2008

No problem see below:

Brock Palen
www.umich.edu/~brockp
Center for Advanced Computing
brockp at umich.edu
(734)936-1985

On Jun 5, 2008, at 8:06 PM, Qiong Zhang wrote:
> 1) How to really kill a submitted job?
>
> Looks like qdel not always works.

Strange, It always works for us.  If you have many users, we add a
script to epilogue and prolog that kill any processes owned by users
which qstat says do not have valid jobs for that system.  Qdel almost
always works though,  If your running parallel code be sure to use an
mpirun/mpiexec that uses tm.  This will make sure that torque keeps
track of the code.

> I tried following options
>
> - qdel
>
> - kill -9 the process on the running node directly
>
> - qsig –s 9
>

> Nothing worked. The node is still taken and can not run any other
> jobs.
>
> When I run ‘pbsnodes”, the state of the node is still ‘job-exclusive’.
>

> 2) How to run multiple jobs on a single cpu machine?
>
> Is there a way I can submit a job using partial cpu, like 0.25, 0.5
> etc?

You can but you almost never want to.  Simplest way is to tell torque
that that node has more cpus than it really does:

I think this will work

qmgr -c 's n NODENAME np=6'

> 3) How to set up a special resource which is attached to the
> cluster instead of individual node?

This is a "generic resource"  we use this for software licenses all
the time.  We enforce them from Moab though.  I think torque also has
a similar facility built in.