[torqueusers] Torque-HA resource manager integration

Michael Sternberg sternberg at anl.gov
Wed Jul 30 15:55:29 MDT 2008

On Jul 30, 2008, at 9:09 , Josh Butikofer wrote:
> The configuration below that Michael Robbert gave will work for
> communicating with a TORQUE in HA mode, but not for the reasons that
> Mr. Robbert assumed.
>
> The TORQUE libraries have access to the server_name file found in
> TORQUE's configuration/spool directory. This file contains the
> primary and secondary TORQUE servers. What this means is Moab can
> communicate with the TORQUE libraries and the libraries will resolve
> which server it should communicate with (depending on which one is
> currently running with an open socket). Moab does not even have to
> know that TORQUE is running in HA mode--it should just work.
>
> In other words, you should only need a single RMCFG[] line
> configuring a single TORQUE RM, as is shown in Mr. Robbert's
> moab.cfg file. The RMCFG[] lines do indeed control both submission
> and data querying from TORQUE (and other resource managers).
>
> As for the SCHEDCFG[] line, these parameters only affect the Moab
> scheduler configuration. The additional FBSERVER=s02.local:42559 is
> telling Moab that a secondary Moab Workload Manager daemon is
> running on s02.local, port 42559. This config only controls Moab's
> HA, not TORQUE HA.
>
> Hopefully that makes sense.

Yes it does - thank you for your explanation, and thanks to Michael R.
for the sample.  I have torque-HA running and am configuring Moab in
HA.  This will be straightforward following Michael's and Josh's
example and explanation.  For reference, the documentation is at:

     http://www.clusterresources.com/torquedocs21/4.3high-availability.shtml
     http://www.clusterresources.com/products/mwm/moabdocs/21.2ha.shtml

My original question, now solved, arose from a more complex
constellation where a testing torque-HA instance and Moab ran on all
different hosts, and Moab was already scheduling a production torque.

With best regards,
Michael