[torqueusers] how can i change mom_log directory

Kamil Kisiel kamil at zymeworks.com
Wed Jul 30 12:53:11 MDT 2008

Any reason why you recommend against writing the logs to NFS? We¹re looking
at moving our logs off our nodes as well, since we¹re running a diskless and
stateless configuration. Our /var/spool/torque directory is mounted in a
tmpfs. Currently if a node reboots, we lose all of our mom_log, which is
something I would like to avoid. I was thinking of doing a setup similar to
what Yanan is doing, or perhaps just writing a program that would tail the
mom log and dump the information to syslog (which, IMO, the MOM should be
doing anyway).

____________
Kamil Kisiel
HPC Systems Engineer, Zymeworks Inc.
201-1401 West Broadway,
Vancouver, BC, V6H 1H6, Canada
Tel: (604) 678-1388 ext. 135
Fax: (604) 737-7077
www.zymeworks.com

On 30/07/08 10:38 , "Glen Beane" <glen.beane at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a local /var/spool/torque directory on each node and remotely mount a
> directory with the executables. I assume this is how almost everyone else does
> it.
>

> If you really want your logs all in one place then on each computer you could
> symlink /var/spool/torque/mom_logs to /raida/PBS/hostname/mom_logs where
> hostname is the name of the host you are creating the symlink on.  so you are
> setting up node10 you would ssh to node10 and symlink
> /var/spool/torque/mom_logs to /raida/PBS/node10/mom_logs
>
> you can also specify the path to a log file for pbs_mom on the command line,
> so if you want your logs written to your NFS mounted directory you could
> specify a path for the log file.  Note that if you do this you will not get a
> new log file every day, you'll have one log file that keeps getting bigger and
> bigger so you will want to setup log rolling (pbs_mom can do the log rolling
> if you set some parameters in the config file)
>

> I still think this is all a bad idea. I would have local directories for the
> mom logs though, I would not write the logs to NFS
>

> On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 1:24 PM, Yanan Sun <nancyprc at gmail.com> wrote:
>> so you mean if i don't copy the whole thing on each computer, it can
>> not have seperate jobs directory and log files?

>>> run

Notice of Confidentiality: The information transmitted is intended only for the
person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or
privileged material. Any review, re-transmission, dissemination or other use of
or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities
other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error
please contact the sender immediately by return electronic transmission and then
immediately delete this transmission including all attachments without copying,
distributing or disclosing the same.