[torqueusers] Memory resource Limits

Joshua Bernstein jbernstein at penguincomputing.com
Tue Jul 29 17:58:12 MDT 2008

Hi Jim,

> Any suggestions?  Is this actually a maui rather than torque problem?
> (I still am often confused as to where the line is between torque and
> maui).

It sounds like what you really want is to either use a submit filter to
parse what the user asked for into an actual request that makes sense,
and/or make some configuration changes to Maui.

To help clear up the TORQUE/Maui line consider this. TORQUE, by itself
is a resource manager (pbs_server and pbs_mom) combined with a scheduler
(pbs_sched). As you well know when you run Maui, you simply start maui
instead of pbs_sched. A resource manager is an application that is
responsible for starting and stopping processes and of course figuring
out what resources are available. A RM needs to basically deal with
system dependent semantics. So an RM for say, OS X (Darwin), may not
work on Linux, or in an extreme example, say on a Cray. This is why when
you build TORQUE it figures out what OS its running on, so it can pull
in the system level bits. Now a scheduler like Maui doesn't need to know
anything at the system level. Instead, it simply asks the resource
manager for the status of things, and generally tells the resource
manager what to do. In other words, the Scheduler doesn't know HOW to
start a process, it just tells the RM to do the dirty work for it. Does
that help clarify the picture for you a bit?

-Joshua Bernstein
Software Engineer
Penguin Computing