[torqueusers] install problem: pbs_server can't find libtorque.so.2

Lloyd Brown lloyd_brown at byu.edu
Mon Jul 21 16:46:46 MDT 2008

Meng Mao wrote:
> I'm trying to install torque to an Ubuntu 8.04 linux distribution, and
> would rather install from source than use the available deb package.
>
> I first wgot torque-2.3.1.tar.gz, and extracted it.
> Then I ran the following sequence, per the quickstart guide:
> ./configure --disable-gcc-warnings
> sudo make
> sudo make install
>
> All went well up to this point. Then I tried to run:
> sudo ./torque.setup myuser
>
> and got this:
> initializing TORQUE (admin: myuser at localhost)
> pbs_server: error while loading shared libraries: libtorque.so.2: cannot
> qmgr: error while loading shared libraries: libtorque.so.2: cannot open
> ERROR: cannot set TORQUE admins
> qterm: error while loading shared libraries: libtorque.so.2: cannot open
>
> I don't think using sudo is a problem, since sudo echo $PATH produces
> the appropriate bin folders. Is there something that I'm missing about
> the install procedure?

Well, we just answered that one earlier today (see
http://www.clusterresources.com/pipermail/torqueusers/2008-July/007724.html,
and the rest of the thread).  The end result is this:

By default Ubuntu doesn't include /usr/local/lib in the list of
directories to search for dynamic-linked libraries.  So, the best
approach is to add that path to the end of /etc/ld.so.conf, and run
"ldconfig" to update.  Then try your "torque.setup" again.

--

Lloyd Brown
Systems Administrator